If you feel like spicing things up around your Christmas table this year, this chocolate trifle recipe is a delicious chocolatey twist on an old-time favourite.
The Lazy Makoti’s chocolate trifle recipe only takes about 25 minutes to prepare, leaving you with plenty of time to relax and bond with your family.
Quick and easy chocolate trifle recipe
- 2 cups ready-made custard
- 100g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 400g Woolworths indulgent triple-chocolate brownies
- 3 T coffee
- ⅓ cup Amarula liqueur, plus 1 T for soaking the brownies
- 250g Woolworths Chuckles
- 2 cups cream
- 25g icing sugar
- 1 packet Woolworths berry meringue kisses
- 160g raspberries
- 1 x 280 g sachet Woolworths chocolate sauce
- Woolworths edible gold dust, to decorate
ALSO SEE: Countdown to Christmas: Mince pies recipe with a South African twist
- Place the custard and chocolate in a saucepan. Gently heat, stirring, until the chocolate has melted completely. Cover the surface with clingwrap, then cool.
- Place the brownies in the bottom of a trifle bowl and mix the coffee with 1 T Amarula. Drizzle all over the brownies. Use a rolling pin or saucepan, gently bash the Chuckles a few times to crush a little, then sprinkle about three-quarters over the brownies. Spoon the cooled chocolate custard over the top, then add a layer of the chocolate sauce before you cover and chill.
- Combine the cream and remaining Amarula in a bowl. Sift over the icing sugar, then whip until soft peaks form. Cover and chill until you’re ready to serve.
- To serve, give the cream a quick mix, then spoon onto the chocolate sauce layer. Scatter over the last few crushed Chuckles, raspberries and meringues, and dust with gold dust.
*This recipe was found on taste.co.za.