The South African Police Service (SAPS) has moved to clarify that no arrests have been made yet in relation to the kidnapping of the Moti brothers. This comes after Benoni City Times reported that a man and woman had been detained at the Benoni Police Station in connection with the boys’ abduction.
The article cited Benoni SAPS station commander Brig Thabo Mphuthi as having said that a task team from Limpopo (where the boys were kidnapped) searched residences at a complex in Harpur Avenue and the two were subsequently arrested and brought to the holding cells.
The boys – Zidan, Zayyad, Alaan, and Zia Moti – all aged between 6 -15, were kidnapped on their way to school in Polokwane at approximately 07:00 on Wednesday, 20 October 2021. Seven men with R5 rifles and handguns cornered their vehicle and forcefully removed them.
Moti brothers article ‘misleading’
SAPS says the article on the Moti brothers’ kidnapping is misleading and has distanced itself from it.
“An article carried by a media house in the East Rand in Gauteng which suggests there have been arrests in an alleged kidnapping case is misleading. The South African Police Service therefore distances itself from the said article. The SAPS is again requesting that matters which are likely to place the lives of people at risk be handled with utmost sensitivity,”
SAPS spokesperson Brigadier Vishnu Naidoo
As of Saturday, 30 October 2021, it would have been 10 days since the Moti brothers were snatched and there is still no sign of them. Police Minister Bheki Cele announced there was a multi-approach team which includes the Social Development Department and others, roped in to deal with the boys’ kidnapping, but there has been no word on any progress being made.
The motive behind the Moti brothers’ abduction remains unclear, however the boys’ parents, Nazim and Shakira suspect it to be ransom.