• Tue. Jan 18th, 2022

DMC News

We Report As It Is

CSA issue latest on Proteas batsman Quinton de Kock

By

Oct 28, 2021

Cricket South Africa (CSA) have issued the latest on batsman Quinton de Kock on Wednesday afternoon.

READ | PROTEAS CAPTAIN TEMBA BAVUMA REACTS TO QUINTON DE KOCK REFUSING TO TAKE A KNEE

De Kock rocked the world cricketing fraternity when he pulled out of the Proteas T20 Cricket World Cup game against West Indies citing ‘personal reasons’ on Tuesday.

CSA confirmed they noted de Kock’s decision not to kneel

At the time, CSA initially announced that de Kock had pulled out of the West Indies T20 Cricket World Cup fixture against the West Indies citing ‘personal reasons’. That in itself drove many cricket lovers on social media to draw the conclusion that, the ‘personal reasons’ were simply his refusal to take the knee, and that his actions had been “noted” by the CSA. 

READ | WHEN WILL QUINTON DE KOCK’S T20 CRICKET WORLD CUP FATE BE DECIDED? CSA BOARD CHAIRPERSON REVEALS ALL

What made this less ideal for the Proteas side, was that de Kock’s decision had only come out after captain Themba Bavuma had just won the toss, and even he was stunned by that and taken aback with the rest of the team, that the 28-year-old had decided to pull out due to his refusal to take a knee like the rest of his teammates. 

READ | IMRAN TAHIR OPENS UP ON PROTEAS T20 WORLD CUP SNUB

Bavuma was quick to lament that he did not have the powers to either send home or replace de Kock, and that the decision on what happens next with regards to his T20 Cricket World Cup fate rests purely on the shoulders of the high ranking CSA officials. 

Naidoo on the matter

“What we heard around Quinton de Kock’s unavailability is speculation for now.” CSA board chairperson Lawson Naidoo told SA FM , he would then follow up that statement when further quizzed on why de Kock hadn’t been recalled from the T20 Cricket World Cup despite refusing to honour the CSA directive he said;

READ | POTENTIAL FUED BETWEEN CSA AND SNUBBED T20 WORLD CUP PLAYERS? EAGLE-EYED DALE STEYN SEEMS TO HAVE SPOTTED SOMETHING

“As I said, until we have received a full report from the team management outlining the discussinos that have been held with Quinton, I think it would be premature to speculate on that.” Naidoo concluded

Latest word from the Proteas camp

There might not have been major updates on Wednesday, but Proteas media manager Sipokazi Sokanyile confirmed that de Kock was still preparing his official statement on the matter and that it would be released “as soon as possible”.  Additional sources have also given the indication that CSA officials have been holding crisis talks trying to resolve this matter behind the scenes.

READ | OPINION | WOULD CSA PROTECT ANY OTHER COACH LIKE THEY HAVE MARK BOUCHER?

The Proteas next take to the field on Saturday when they take on Sri Lanka in their next T20 Cricket World Cup game. One would think a resolution to de Kock’s future before that date would be the CSA’s target. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *