• Wed. Jan 26th, 2022

DMC News

We Report As It Is

FNB bank manager who allegedly stole ATM R3 million arrested


Oct 27, 2021

A former FNB bank manager who is facing a charge of theft after he allegedly stole R3 million from an ATM machine and then skipped court has been re-arrested and remanded in custody.

Hawks spokesperson, Captain Dineo Lucy Sekgotodi, said that police re-arrested Aubrey Lepala Tlala, 44, who was then remanded in custody after his brief appearance in the Kwaggafontein Regional Court on Monday.

“He was re-arrested for not showing up at an earlier scheduled court appearance,” Sekgotodi said.

Tlala was initially arrested by the Hawks’ Serious Commercial Investigation team based in Middelburg for theft related charges amounting to R3 million allegedly stolen from an ATM on 2 November 2012. 

“Tlala was employed by First National Bank branch in Kwaggafontein as a manager at the time of the offence. He made several court appearances but failed to appear in court on 10 October 2021 where the matter was set down for judgement,” Sekgotodi said.

“A warrant for his arrest was consequently secured and executed on Monday 25 October 2021. He is expected to make a follow-up appearance on 22 November 2021 at the same Court,” she said.

In a separate incident in the Eastern Cape, Nokwanda Margaret Matebese, 40, appear­ed in the Gqeberha New Law Court on Tuesday after her arrest by the Gq­eberha based Serious Commercial Crime In­vestigation team of the Hawks. She is facing charges of fraud and money lau­ndering pertaining to a sum of R500 000 that she allegedly stole from a Nebbank customer’s account. 

“It is alleged that on 2 December 2020 an amount of R500​ 000 was stolen from a Nedbank client’s acco­unt by a bank employ­ee. It is further re­ported that an amount of R200​ 000 was transferred into the Nedbank account of Ntsikelelo Matebese Funeral. The accused Nokwanda and her husband Ntsikelelo Ma­tebese, 44, are furt­her alleged to have withdrawn R160​ 000 of this money on 3 December 2021,” Hawks spokesperson Captain Yolisa Mgolo­dela said.

“On realising the sus­picious fraudulent transaction, the bank immediately froze Matebe­se Funerals account and reco­vered R40​ 000,” Mgolo­dela said.

The matter was ​ then ​ referred to the Hawks for investigation, which led to the arrest of busine­ssmen Gcinithemba Ms­ana, 37, Abongile Mhlomi, 27, bank employee Si­yamthanda Nxwusana,32, and Ma­tebese, who is the director of Matebese Funeral Parlour. The four have earlier appeared in court and were released on R5000 bail each.

“Matebese was released on R5000 bail and will join her co-accused on 28 October 2021 to set a trial date,” Mgolo­dela said

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *